Back in February I began planning my guest bathroom makeover using the ‘Henry Grey Matt tile’ on the floor and the ‘White Marble Hexagon tile’ around the bath and sink, see my earlier post here as to how I came to these decisions. I love to play with colour and pattern and these two tiles have allowed me to do just that. The first decision I had to make was which pattern to create with the Henry tile, as they can be laid in different ways to create either a star or box illusion pattern. I went with the star pattern which I felt suited our floor space best and created a kind of path leading you up to the bath.
I used a dark grey grout to create a seamless pattern on the floor and then got a little more creative when it came to the hexagons on the walls. I had planned to use a coloured grout to pick out the green of the wallpaper and accessories I was using in there. I had a really vivid picture in my head of a really leafy green grout but when I couldn’t find what I was after off the shelf (and after getting funny looks for even asking) I decided to mix my own bespoke colour using white grout and emerald green acrylic paint which worked perfectly (although I’ll admit I had my doubts during the mixing process!
Once the initial tiles were up, I had the urge to go rogue and add some irregular tiles cascading up and down around both ends of the bath. This was a risk because it was difficult to visualise the end result, and in order to stick the tiles to the wall I had to cut holes in the wallpaper and tap nails in to help support them whilst the tile adhesive set so there was no going back! Luckily, my risk paid off and I love the asymmetry, especially as the bath is also an irregular shape.
Whilst I had originally planned to keep the walls white, I came across this banana leaf paper which fit so well with my green and yellow scheme. I decided to jump in with both feet and paper the whole room. Even though I already had plenty of pattern coming from the floor tiles and the shape of the wall tiles, I knew it would work well altogether because the neutral tones of the tiles could support the bold colours of the wallpaper despite the pattern clash. I could then add my yellow and green towels, green woven baskets for storage, cut green glass soap dispenser and plenty of plants to accessorise the space.
The final accent colour was pink and I really went to town painting the bath panel, the skirting boards, windowsill, shelves and cupboards before adding gold hardware and gold leaf to the base of the bath.
I could never have dreamed this project would come together as well as it did but I learnt so much along the way and have really enjoyed creating a fun and original space that just makes me smile.