Check Your Floor For Tiling
LINK TO OTHER HOW-TO VIDEOS…
YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT DEFLECTION!
Deflection is simply the bounce of the floor, you cannot tile over a floor that has too much bounce. Tiles only have limited flexibility of 1-2mm before they start to crack.
DOES YOUR FLOOR HAVE DEFLECTION?
A P5 water resistant chi pboard
- Should be 18mm thick
- Should be pinned or screwed every 300mm
- The joists are suppose to be existent every 400mm
- Backer boards
- Cement boards
- Ply board
FIXING A SQUEAKY FLOOR
- For a flooring project, the ply needs to be a minimum of 15mm.
- Ideally you should put down 18mm far eastern ply or you could find an alternative such as a cement board, or plastic ply.
- You need to use a decent flexible adhesive when you are working on wood. Make sure it’s a good brand, cheaper is not always the best option. It needs to be an S1, meaning it’s got enough flexibility.
- You also need the same sort of flexibility in your grout, don’t skimp on something that you are going to invest a lot of money in. It can last you years if you get it right.